Wednesday, October 22, 2008

it's alive

One thing about Guatemala--there's just so much life here. Let's face it: In the United States, we live in a pretty sterile environment. There is not much microscopic life swimming in the drinking water that comes out of your kitchen sink. Heck, you can even drink out of the garden hose! Not so here. There could be giardia, amoebas or other parasites merrily anticipating a romp around your stomach lining in any drop of unboiled water.
The same is true for people, plants and animals. Due to a mix of machismo, religious tradition and societal values, families here are big--far bigger than the average family in the U.S. It seems no matter where you are, whether its at a city council meeting, in a restaurant, visiting someone's home and especially in the Health Center, there are always a ton of little kids around.
Stateside children are relegated to specific parts of life. They have their own table for meals, and you don't take them somewhere that they could make a disturbance. Even our lives are divided into childhood, adulthood, parenthood and retirement. And unless you actively seek to make children a part of your life, they won't be.
Sometimes it's sad, like when you see a dog that is so skinny it can't nurse its puppies, or you see a kitten with one foot in the grave. Sometimes it's annoying, like when something you left under your bed for a week is already moldy. Or the fact that you have to be so proactive at killing insects and arachnids in your living space.
But I like that it's such a family-friendly society. And, like in all areas of my life, I'm learning to make accommodations for things and people different than what I am used to.

2 comments:

Bellesouth said...

I can only imagine how fascinating it must be — to suddenly be thrust in a world that is different from the one you know. But even in the slight, small culture-shocks I've experienced in my life, I have found each one to be enriching, but also to help me get a better understanding of the world outside of me.

It also increases cultural relativism, which we all need.

By the way, I was at Java on the Squizzle last week and i thought of you and Evie, and I was sad to see that they'd taken down the community bulletin board where you could thumb-tack notes, and instead placed a painting of a giant pig. I hope that artist makes some good money.

Tyler said...

On the bright side, you don't have little children lining your stomach. Our cultures aren't that different, after all, I guess.