Tuesday, January 20, 2009

found in translaton

Sometimes the most enjoyable things about being a Peace Corps volunteer have nothing to do with service.

When I feel most in demand and capable to help people, and also when people seem the most grateful for my assistance are the times when I can provide an accurate and immediate translation for someone in need.

Once a man came into the health center looking for me. He heard there was a bilingual American working there. He had recently come from the United States and needed to fax his old job an authorization for his brother to pick up his last paycheck. He dictated, I wrote and he signed the document. In that moment, I knew that I was better able to help him than anyone else in the whole village.

My old host mother from training is an orderly who takes care of a sick American living in Guatemala (Don’t ask me why). She would occasionally ask me to write down things to help her communicate with her patient. In our last “lesson” she asked me, “¿Como se dice ‘trague’ en ingles?”

“Swallow,” I told her, and wrote out sua-lo.

“¿Y para decir, ‘tome”?”

“Drink.”

“¿Y, ‘haga popĆ³’?

I paused for a minute. My host mother was asking me how to ask someone to have a bowel movement. Defecate? That didn’t seem right. Too formal. Take a poo? Too casual. Slowly, I wrote down “Poop.” I looked at it again and erased it. In its place I wrote “Please poop.”

A group of medical missionaries (the non-aggressive, Presbyterian type) has been in a town called Jacaltenango for two weeks. Since none of the doctors speak English, PCVs in Jacal recruited their peers to translate for the doctors.

I spent all day Monday in dentistry room, where locals with an acute need for extraction came to see an American dentist.

“Tell her it’s normal to feel shaky after having four teeth pulled.”

"Tell him this will prick a little."

"Tell her she'll feel pressure, but she shouldn't feel pain."

"Tell him I love Jesus."

In doing so, I realized that I was really no less of a tool than the syringe, mirror or gloves that the dentist used to do her job. What’s more, I discovered that I loved it. For the first time in a long time I felt in demand, useful, and like I was providing a real service to people in need (things I hoped I would feel on a regular basis as a Peace Corps volunteer).

4 comments:

naomi said...

Great post!!

I always wondered how they say "Poop" :-)

Mathew Crane said...

Hey Emily -

hilarious post! i know how you feel. take it easy...

Tyler said...

How exciting that you measured the vocabulary in translation like that. Such cleverly discriminating material is the stuff language experts are made of - even if they are translating "poop" as an imperative.

Tim Slattery said...

Having to translate poop is pretty funny. =)

I find myself feeling useful when I can translate things too. A few weeks ago I helped a guy fill out an application for some kind of conference related with his job, I think in Switzerland or something. (They required a level of English proficiency which he did not have, so I don´t think he´ll end up being accepted, but it was a good way to meet someone in the community, and he was super greatful to me for helping him.) Like you, I was really the most fit person in the town to help in this case. Sometimes I feel like anyone could do (and many times is already doing) what I´m here to do. People in my town are already running competent sessions on HIV and AIDS, organizing a politically-involved youth group, running a group of "Adolescentes Saludables" and other things. Obviously there´s the potential for the expansion and betterment of these programs, but I do sometimes feel like I get in the way more than help, when I stumble around in broken Spanish while the other group leaders are speaking in fluent K´iche´...

I have also really enjoyed being able to make videos of events here, and have plans to continue in the future with marketing videos for my radio station and computer lab. It´s a skill I have that´s rare and appreciated here.

I bet you could do some really awesome stuff with photography - teaching it, or organizing a photo contest, or just displaying some of your photos of the town to brighten up a room.

Take care, and hopefully we´ll get to see each other sometime soon!

Tim